Friday, August 6, 2010

Two years without a j-o-b, but who's counting?

Back in the day, when I worked at CSUN's Career Center, I never expected that I too would a career transitioning mom. I counseled a few of "them" in my time helping students plot their courses. The answers seem so much easier from where I was sitting at that time in history.

My career was so effortless, my experiences and contacts developing a rather direct path for me in the non profit/education management sector. I got paid to do tasks that many people can only do as volunteers. In many ways my jobs were dream jobs- I earned a living while supporting causes I care about and helping people.

Then I had my third child and the world shifted for me in so many ways. I needed my income source to be more flexible. I was sad at the years I was missing with my kids while I worked in an office. I wanted to be a different kind of parent. I also needed a larger income potential to be able to keep up with my growing family's needs. I needed to be bold and brave and quit my job and "find myself" in my career again. That was 2006.

When I first quit the stable job, I had a safety net. Or three. Those have eroded over the years now as I peel back my own priorities and examine several different models for how to survive and thrive in LA during The Great Repression.
I've tried to stay chipper during these years, but it's been a challenge.

This fall, my little dude heads to Kindergarten. Five years ago, his sister started at the same school. Because of my upbringing with divorced parents and several impacting moves in my life, having a consistent environment for my kids, especially around schools and social groups, has been a priority for me. I am proud of my ability to stay in LA and stick this all out, knowing that one day a solution will present itself and all of this difficultly will resolve into the "how" of the "what" will happen next. I'm also proud of the volunteer work we've done with the school over the past couple of years. Bill and I have reaped many benefits from our involvement including a rejuvination of our ability to trust the process and know that seemingly impossible plans do work out if you try and work hard enough. And are really stubborn, which is one trait we all share here in our house.

I'm looking forward to this fall as a time to rediscover my career again and be able to focus myself on that part of my life. The imbalanced feeling I've had in the decade now that I've had a baby or toddler in my life is now getting better.
I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. I'm sleeping again and I have mental energy to think about my own goals, dreams and aspirations.

I also have a househould (barely) functioning in a deep monthly deficit with no credit cards ( which is a good thing long term). My desire to explore my own career options and live my own truth as a career woman and mom is getting very up close and personal with a true need to find a way or ways to feed my family.
It all feels very complicated right now.

With a month until school starts, I'm working on the various models that I think I can manifest once I have all my ducklings in school. I'm needing some Plans A-F at this point and then we'll see which one works given all the particulars.

Two years into my non job/contract life, I still have faith that if I hang on to what I think is important and keep focused but flexible, that I'll find success "even in this economy." My last contracted ended the same month as the stock market crashed in '08. It's been fun times since then, for sure, but I continue to know that it will all make sense later. Until then, I keep swimming and casting those nets and knowing that something is going to work out.

No comments:

Post a Comment